Warning to smartphone users after man goes temporarily blind


If you thought those warnings about using your smartphone in bed were bogus, think again.

.

Doctors are warning people about the potentially irreversible damage that can be done after one man went temporarily blind while playing games on his phone in bed.

The man, identified as Wang, from Xi’an in Shaanxi province, says that he momentarily lost his sight after playing games on his smartphone with the lights off.

Medical professionals say he suffered what is known as an “eye stroke” and the damage can be devastating.

“I was using my right eye to look at my phone, and I could see some words but not others,” Wang told the South China Morning Post.

"I love playing on my phone, but at night my wife doesn’t want me using it because the screen light is too bright after the lights have been turned off."

According to Wang’s doctor Lei Tao, his temporarily blindness was caused by an "overuse of electronic items," which can lead to "excessive strain on vision".

"The occurrence rate is getting higher each year, and there is a trend of younger victims.

"The rate of permanent blindness is also high, which can seriously affect the patient’s quality of life and contribution to society."

The report states that such an ocular clot can result in severe vision loss if it is not treated immediately, however others suggest it is quite a rare condition.

Dr. Gareth Lema, a retinal surgeon at Mount Sinai’s New York Eye told the New York Post that such a claim should be backed up through clearer documentation.

He said that retinal artery occlusion only occurs in about one per cent of the general population.